Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tuscan Bean Soup & Poached Egg


It's already hot here in Texas being the first of June.  Sometimes it's nice to throw together a hot meal that isn't heavy but a little more filling than a salad.  Last night I was craving my Tuscan Bean Soup that I usually make with Escarole Greens but only had fresh Spinach instead.  It was good but I think it I do like it better with the Escarole.  

The other day I was on a blog called Hungry For The Truth - a blog that Stacy Morris from DDP Yoga who blogs about her weight loss journey and food connection.  I saw a similar soup where she added eggs.  I thought that would be great addition to my Tuscan Bean Soup so I gave it a whirl.  It was fabulous!

This soup is light, hearty and hits the spot, even on a hot day!  Here is how you do it:

1 Can Cannelini Beans, Drained and Rinsed Well
4 Cups Chicken Stock, Low Sodium
2 Strips Prosciutto, Diced
1/4 Cup Red Onion, Diced
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
3 Fresh Sage Leaves, Shredded
2 Handfuls Fresh Escarole or Fresh Baby Spinach
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 Tsp Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Egg, Free Range Organic (1 per serving)

In a medium stock pot over medium high heat, add Extra Virgin Olive Oil, chopped Onions, minced Garlic, chopped Prosciutto.  Saute until onions are translucent.  Then add the Fresh Sage, toss around for a minute.

Add the drained Cannelini Beans, Chicken Stock, Fresh Escarole or Baby Spinach and simmer until the greens wilt.  Season with Himalayan Pink Salt and Fresh Black Pepper.  

To Serve, portion soup in a bowl, add a cracked fresh Egg and push the liquid from the soup over the top to lightly poach the eggs.  

Delicious!..Stormy


No comments:

Post a Comment