Friday, July 6, 2012

Pecan Salmon & Caramelized Brussel Slaw

I have to admit something...until recently I used to hate brussel sprouts!  What's weird is that I enjoy eating cabbage but for some reason brussel sprouts didn't taste good to me.  Then I discovered why...it was the way they were cooked.  This is a perfect example of how using the right ingredients and cooking technique can transform something as simple as a brussel sprout. 

Before I have had brussell sprouts, roasted whole or cooked with bacon.  Which you would think I would have liked the one with bacon but found it to be to greasy and not enough to transform the flavor. 

The other day I decided that I was going to find a way to make these little suckers taste good.  So I decided that I would shred them to de-intensify the flavor that you get when you keep them whole or sliced in half.  Plus I decided to use my all time favorite seasoning Summer Salt mixture as a seasoning and cook them in Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.  A little squeeze of Lime add a bit of chopped fresh Cilantro...HELLO KITTY!  It was the bomb!  Much better than versions I've tried before.

I'm such a firm believer in fresh herbs and keep them in my fridge in a cup of water all of the time just for this reason.  It brightens a dish in an instant, elevating the flavor that you just don't get from dried herbs.

This slaw was a perfect base to my all time favorite Roasted Pecan Salmon.  I just love that salmon and eat it pretty regularly changing out the side by either using a nice Forbidden Rice Pilaf, fresh Arugula Salad or in this case...Caramelized Brussel Slaw!

Here is how I did it and I encourage you to follow these directions, make up some of this Summer Salt and keep it on hand to season a variety of dishes.  I particularity like it on corn and eggs. 


Caramelized Brussel Slaw

1/2 lb Brussel Sprouts
1/4 cup Red Onion
1 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 tsp Summer Salt (see recipe)
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, Chopped
Squeeze Fresh Lime

Sliced Brussel Sprouts and Red Onion.  In a medium skillet (I used cast iron to caramelize well) add Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Red Onions and saute until onions are translucent. 

Add in the sliced Brussel Sprouts and continue to saute until they become a little caramelized.  Add the Summer Salt, mix together and pull off the heat.  Just prior to serving, toss in the fresh chopped Cilantro and give it a squeeze of fresh Lime.

Summer Salt
This salt is excellent with grilled meats and vegetables.  I called it Summer Salt because I use it all summer while grilling.   Keep a jar close by your grill.  It’s also really good on just about everything!

Yields 5oz Jar
1 Cup               Himalayan Pink Sea Salt, Fine Ground
3 teaspoons       Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon        Black Mustard Seeds (optional)
2 teaspoons       Oregano, Dried & Crushed
1 teaspoon        Thyme, Dried & Crushed
1 teaspoon        Yellow Curry Powder  
                                      (not hot, just great flavor - do not omit!)
2 teaspoons       Onion Powder

Mix all ingredients and store in cool dark place in an airtight glass jar.



Pecan Roasted Salmon

Salmon Filet
Olive Oil
Himalayan Pink Sea Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
Pecans, Chopped

Place Salmon Filet, skin side down.  Rub gently with olive oil and season with Himalayan Pink Sea Salt and fresh cracked Black Pepper.

Add chopped Pecans to top of Salmon and pat down to adhere.  Roast in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.

Super simple and great flavor and texture combination.

Easy breezy summer recipes that took less than 30 minutes to prepare!

Thanks for stopping by...Stormy


No comments:

Post a Comment