Saturday, September 29, 2012

Roasted Beet & Parsnip Quinoa Salad

I love beets!  Never thought I would hear those words come out of my mouth earlier in life.  I used to say that beets were one food that I couldn't stand.  I only had pickled beets that my Grandma made and they weren't that good.  So I immediately formed an bad opinion of beets.

But then I learned more about these incredible little jewels and I love them now.  I always feel better after I eat beets too.  Especially when I juice them!

I love to roast them and keep some in my fridge when I want to add it to a salad or mix up a vinaigrette and eat it as a side dish. 

Beets are highly nutritious and are “cardiovascular health” friendly root vegetable.  (Which I need as many heart healthy veggies I can get my hands on!)

Certain unique pigment antioxidants in the root as well as in its top greens have found to offer protection against coronary artery disease and stroke; lower cholesterol levels within the body, and have anti-aging effects.

Also rich source of B-complex vitamins such as niacin (B-3), pantothenic acid (B-5), pyridoxine (B-6) and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper, and magnesium.

Parsnips are closely related to carrots family of vegetables; grown for their sweet, succulent underground taproots. They are also good in vitamin C; provide about 17 mg or 28% of RDA. Vitamin C is a powerful water-soluble anti-oxidant, easily available to us from natural sources. It helps body maintain healthy connective tissue, teeth, and gum. Its anti-oxidant property helps protect from diseases and cancers by scavenging harmful free radicals from the body. 

So...combining these two root vegetables with some fresh herbs, a splash of vinaigrette and some cooked quinoa that I have readily available in my fridge, makes a quick salad on go possible and packs a punch of nutrients in my body.


I can't stress how important it is to have items ready in the fridge to pull out and combine a salad or snack so you don't reach for something bad instead.  When I buy beets, I wash them, wrap in foil, put in the oven at 400 degrees and roast until tender.  Then I just peel off the outer skin, which it comes off easily after cooking, dice it up and throw it in my dishes.  I also just keep them in the foil packs in the fridge and peel and dice when I want to use them. 

For parsnips - Well they are excellent, roasted with the skin on and then tossed in a little olive oil and Himalayan pink sea salt and pepper.  They are sweet and caramelized - great to snack on just like that!

The beets give this dish a beautiful purple hue that makes it bright and colorful.

Roasted Beet & Parsnip Quinoa Salad

1 Beet, Roasted, Peeled & Diced
1 Cup Parsnips, Roasted
1 Cup Quinoa, Cooked
2 Tbsp Red Onion, Diced
1 Tbsp Cilantro, Rough Chopped
1 Tbsp Parsley, Rough Chopped
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Raw Coconut Vinegar
Dash Balsamic Vinegar (for sweetness)
Lemon Zest
Himalayan Pink Sea Salt (to taste)
Cracked Black Pepper (to taste)

Mix it up and eat it!

Stormy...

No comments:

Post a Comment